Friday, March 06, 2015

Vegetarian Translation App

As a translator, I’m often suspicious of computer programmes or apps that purport to do what we do, and to do it as well as we do. But there are some instances when an app would be helpful, such as when travelling.

So I was intrigued to learn about this vegetarian translation app. It seems as though it would be very helpful; I haven’t eaten meat in over 15 years and I’ve often had trouble while on trips. The app includes 50 languages, including Chinese; China was probably the hardest country for me to visit as a vegetarian. I kept being told that supposedly vegetarian dishes had pork in them and that I shouldn’t worry as “pork isn’t meat”! If only I’d had this app then!

Do you know of other translation apps that are actually useful and accurate?

3 comments:

Ozaru said...

And when the power runs out... the low-tech option still works: a Vegan Passport (the most recent edition can be purchased here at the Vegan Society.

B.J. Epstein said...

Thank you! That's helpful!

Unknown said...

Very useful #translation App. Thank you