Thursday, April 19, 2012

Translating Expressive Language in Children’s Literature

In a post that is shameless self-promotion, I’d like to mention that the book based on my PhD dissertation is now out. You can find more information here.

I had a wonderful experience as a PhD student, partially due to my fantastic supervisors, Professor Duncan Large and Professor Andy Rothwell. Hearing other people’s horror stories about the lack of support and consideration they got from their supervisors only reinforces my sense of gratitude at how thoughtful, helpful, and kind Duncan and Andy always were. It’s thanks to them that I have gotten this far.

I’m quite pleased the book is out, because I do think the work is actually pretty useful, for both translators and academics, because it looks at a topic that hasn’t been researched much in the past and offers concrete, pragmatic suggestions. I hope some of you will find it beneficial.

3 comments:

Carolyn Y. said...

Congratulations on the book release!

(And yes, you were lucky to get such great support in your PhD program. My sister is working on her Master's-level thesis right now, and her advisor must be jealous of her ideas... It's not been the most pleasant experience for her.)

B.J. Epstein said...

Thank you, Carolyn!

I hope things improve for your sister -- I have heard other, similar stories and it's such a shame.

Best wishes,
BJ

Unknown said...

Gud going.....