Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Shameless Self-Promotion

I have two recent publications that readers might be interested in. The first is an issue of the journal In Other Wordsthat I edited. In Other Words is a journal on translation that is published by the British Centre for Literary Translation. The BCLT is house at the University of East Anglia in England, where I teach. The issue I edited explores the theme of Translating Queers/Queering Translation. Translation studies has looked at concepts such as how colonialism influenced what was translated and how, and some of us who work in children’s literature have similarly looked at how adults’ power over children has influenced which texts are translated for children and in what ways. Queer studies is the latest field to explore translation from this perspective, developing on from feminist analyses of translation.


On a related subject, I have a piece in the newly published anthology Queer Girls in Class.

Hope you enjoy this reading!

4 comments:

{sylvaf} said...

There's never enough self-promotion these days, I guess. I've been thinking of subscribing to In Other words for some time and this might have finally persuaded me-)
Do you know if "Queer Girls in Class" will be published as an e-book, as well?

Anonymous said...

If you don't blow your own trumpet, someone else will spit in it.

Ros

Judy Jenner and Dagmar Jenner said...

That sounds really interesting, thanks for sharing. We might just have to subscribe. It's especially interesting for Dagmar who's writing her dissertation in Romance languages on the feminist discourse in Isabel Allende's work. We look forward to learning more about the feminist analysis of translation.

Congrats! :)

B.J. Epstein said...

Thanks, everyone!
I don't know if it will be an e-book -- I haven't heard, so I'm guessing that means not, unfortunately.
Dagmar, send me your address and I'll send you a copy of the magazine!

Best wishes,
BJ